Friday, January 6, 2012

Our first full week in London

I have now been in London for almost a full week.

A few random observations:

- It's been a really busy week.  I came here thinking much of my work for the London program planning was done and that I would just need to tie up a few loose ends.  That absolutely hasn't happened.  I feel like I've been working, in one way or another, every waking hour.  Now some of that working is going places with the kids.  That has been great but isn't usually what I'd call relaxing.  On Thursday morning, for example, we went to the Natural History Museum.  We just saw the dinosaur and animals exhibits - but we still spent a couple hours there.  It takes about 30 minutes each way for traveling so that added another hour (5-7 minutes walking to tube stop, 20 minutes on tube, 5-7 walking from tube to destination).  It's great to see things like this, but it made for a long day/night then doing all my work.

- Is London really expensive, or not?  After coming back from the Natural History Museum - which was free, Amanda and I were talking that London really isn't that expensive if you don't go out to eat or drink often (that will kill your budget).  We're not going out to eat very often and we don't go out to drink. Then today I picked up tickets to a show we're going to see in mid-March (Matilda the Musical).  All of a sudden I don't think London is so cheap anymore.  We're also going to the Lion King (courtesy of a present - thanks Mom!) and Les Miserables while we're here.  For these three musicals, our whole family will go.  My wife and I would like to go out (just us) to Billy Elliot and Wicked too.  That will likely depend on whether any of the students want to babysit.

- The tube is just awesome.  I haven't driven in a week and I love it.  This is approaching the longest I've ever gone without driving in my life, and I don't miss it at all.  It's good exercise walking to the tube - and then once on the tube I can relax, read, or get some work done (which, admittedly, usually also involves reading).  I think the US population is probably too spread out to make this type of transportation viable in most locations, however.

- The students arrive tomorrow.  I think I'm ready for things (hence, I'm relaxing and blogging while Amanda does home school preparations for tomorrow).  Tomorrow they arrive, take a coach to the flat to unpack a bit and hear a brief introductory talk from the manager of their flats, I take them to a nice lunch, and then they're free for the afternoon/evening.  On Sunday we have a coach tour planned - which should be fun.  Before that, our family will be going to Church.  We think we're going where Nicky Gumbel's church - he did the Alpha video series we saw and apparently they have kids programs.  We're excited

Where I've been or what I've seen the past few days:

- Covent Garden
- Marble Arch
- Natural History Museum
- Regent's Park and Primrose Hill (which has a great view - almost as good as our flat :) )

It's been a pretty cool week.

No new photos this time - hopefully next time ...

Matt

2 comments:

Mama Elmo said...

What a great week. Anxious to hear about Nicky Gumbles church, dad & I took the alpha course and loved the guy....... If you keep up this pace, Zeke will be able to show us ALL of London in april. Jo & I are in airport on our way to vegas. Give me a call when u can. Have enjoyed the blogs

Morgan said...

How about I just hop over for a weekend and babysit!? Sounds like a good plan to me. :)

I'm glad you are enjoying London!